Currents students may have the option to live in our residence halls, suites, or apartments depending on their number of completed credits and availability of space. We encourage all students to explore our communities prior to completing their housing application.
- Students must have 30 completed credits to be eligible for suites.
- Students must have 39 completed credits to be considered for Walker Avenue Apartments.
- Students generally have 50 completed credits to be considered for Residential Life Apartments.
This process begins in mid-Spring for current students seeking to apply for housing for the upcoming academic year. The housing application is the first step for all students interested in living on campus. Students are encouraged to review our communities and the housing options before submitting the application.
To access the application, students should log into the housing portal using their myUMBC username and password. The application assists in the assignment, roommate matching, and waitlist process, so students should make sure they complete this application honestly and accurately.
Priority Housing Application Deadline
Current students may be eligible to participate in Housing Selection (see below) during the Spring semester for the upcoming academic year. Housing Selection is the process by which current students select their room and/or roommates for the upcoming academic year. Our system is fully online; you can participate in Housing Selection using your smartphone, tablet, or any computer.
Students who are not eligible or who miss the Housing Selection Application deadline, are invited to submit a General Housing Application. Once submitted, they will be added to a housing waitlist. Waitlist offers will be made throughout the summer and into the academic year, as space permits.
Housing Selection Eligibility
You must meet the April 1, 2022 at 5 p.m. priority deadline in order to participate in housing selection. In order to be granted the application, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a currently enrolled UMBC resident or commuter who completed a “Commuter Pass” with a current resident. We recommend that “Commuter Passes” be submitted no later than March 30, 2022 to ensure our staff can review your request and issue the Housing Selection application to the commuting student before the April 1, 2022 deadline.
- Must be in good financial standing. Students with outstanding student account balances greater than $250 will not be granted access to the application. You should contact Student Business Services to find out how to clear your account balance. Once you clear your account, you should contact the Residential Life Office to request access to the application.
- UPDATE (March 16, 2022): No longer will students be required to have their COVID-19 booster to be eligible for Housing Selection.
- Students who are not actively enrolled in classes at the time of Housing Selection will not be eligible for participation.
Walker Avenue Apartment Selection Eligibility
In addition to meeting the above eligibility requirements, students interested in participating in the Walker Avenue Apartment Housing Selection process must meet the following requirements:
- Must either be enrolled as a graduate student or be an undergraduate student with 39+ completed credits by April 1, 2022
- Must be one of the first 500 students to fully submit their Walker Avenue Housing Selection Application, License & $200 Reservation Fee, as space is limited at Walker Avenue. Residents who do not make the cut-off will have the option to (1) complete the Residential Life Housing Selection application by April 1, 2022 and participate in Residential Life housing selection, or (2) complete the General Interest Application on April 6, 2022 to be added to the Walker Avenue waitlist.
Step 1: Apply
Current residents must submit their Housing Selection Application (License and Reservation Fee) by April 1, 2022 at 5PM to be guaranteed on-campus housing and participate in Housing Selection. As part of the application you will be required to acknowledge the Housing License (contract) and pay a $200 Reservation Fee.
- Undergraduate students with less than 39 completed credits are only eligible to complete the Residential Life application.
- Fifth year residents & graduate students are only eligible to complete a WAA application.
- You may have the option to choose between the Residential Life and Walker Avenue Application if you are an undergraduate student with 39 completed credits. If you have access to choose between applications please note:
- You can only choose one application.
- As soon as you select an application, the other choice will disappear.
- If you choose the wrong application, contact Residential Life or Walker Avenue in writing or by phone before April 1, 2022 in order to be reissued the application(s).
- Students who wish to participate in our Gender Inclusive Housing Selection process as an individual (no group) should indicate interest in Gender Inclusive housing on their application.
- Students with approved medical accommodations through Student Disability Services who would like to be pre-assigned to housing, rather than go through the Housing Selection Process, should indicate need on their housing application and contact Caitlin Scheidegger before April 11, 2022. It is important to note that a student cannot use this process to make arrangements for a potential roommate(s).
- The housing license is a contract.
- Students must complete a housing license in order to participate in Housing Selection.
- The term of the license is for the entire academic year, both Fall & Spring semesters.
- Students that submit a license and change their mind or cancel their assignment prior to the start of move-in will be assessed a cancellation fee. For more information about cancellations and petitions, please review the Housing Procedures.
- You can only form a roommate group with those students who have completed the same license as yourself (ex. a student who completes the Walker Application cannot live with someone who completes the Residential Life application).
Reservation Fee Facts
- Students must pay a $200 housing reservation fee in order to participate in Housing Selection.
- The housing reservation fee is mandatory. Students with significant financial need are welcome contact Residential Life by March 18, 2022.
- Payment must be in the form of Credit Card or ACH.
- The reservation fee money will be applied as a credit toward your first 2022-2023 housing bill.
Step 2: Roommate Group Formation
This step is optional, as students may apply for housing and select a room as an individual.
Roommate Group Requirements
- You may form groups of 2 or 4.
- You can only form a roommate groups with those students who have completed the same application as yourself (Walker Avenue or Residential Life).
- Due to the different housing selection cycles, current residents are not able to request incoming freshmen or transfer students as roommates during the Housing Selection process.
- Groups that do not meet size requirements and those with students who did not finalized their housing license will be considered incomplete, and may be split into individual groups of 1.
How to Form a Roommate Group
- Students interested in forming groups, should do so in the housing portal.
- Check out our “How to Find Roommates & Form a Roommate Group Video.”
- Attend a Roommate Social, hosted by RSA
- Friday, April 1 from 3-4:30 p.m. in the Harbor MPR
- Wednesday, April 6 from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Harbor MPR
Roommate Search Function
The Roommate Module in the housing portal allows you to search profiles of students with the same sex and same approved license type (Walker Avenue or Residential Life) from March 18- April 6. You can filter based on sleep habits, room condition, allergies, and more to find a match.
You may choose to hide your profile by going to My Account > Matching Profile Visibility to “Hide”.
Gender Inclusive Roommate Group Formation
Due to system limitations, students seeking to form Gender Inclusive Groups have to wait until the profile searching function is disabled to form groups. Students seeking to form gender inclusive groups will have from April 7 until April 11 to form roommate groups.
Students who wish to participate in our Gender Inclusive Housing Selection process as an individual (no group) should indicate interest in Gender Inclusive housing on their application.
Step 3: Room Selection
Your group’s selection time will be sent to your UMBC email at least two days before the start of the selection period.
Selection times are assigned based on your group’s average completed credits and the selection process in which you are participating, times are not prioritized by group size or class year. If students are part of a roommate group, their group’s average credits will be used to determine the time (ex. Student A has 45 credits and Student B has 15 credits, their Group Average is 30 credits and they will select with other groups/individuals that also have a 30 credit average).
Some students/groups may not receive a selection time if demand for housing is higher than the amount of available spaces. Students who did not receive a selection time but met the other requirements are still guaranteed housing, and will be assigned to housing by the Residential Life Assignments team over the summer. Typically, groups with lower individual or group credit averages may not be issued a selection time.The group leader must log into the housing portal during the assigned selection time to pick a room from the available inventory. Students have until the conclusion of the selection period to log-in and pick a room. After selection closes, students/groups that did not select will be assigned by Residential Life during the summer.
Please keep in mind that some buildings or communities may not be available for you to select, as they may be dedicated for first-year students and/or Quarantine & Isolation housing.
Housing Selection Resources
- 2022-2023 Housing Selection Guide
- How to Complete the Housing Selection Application Video
- How to Find Roommates & Form a Roommate Group Video
- How to Select a Room Video
- March 14 at Noon- Housing Selection General Information Session Video
- March 25 at Noon- Q&A Drop-In Session
- March 30 at Noon- Housing Selection Information Session: Roommate Group Formation Video
- April 1 at 3 p.m.- Roommate Social hosted by RSA in the Harbor Multipurpose Room
- April 6 at 7 p.m.- Roommate Social hosted by RSA in the Harbor Multipurpose Room
- April 8 at Noon- Q&A Drop-In Session
- April 13 at Noon- Housing Selection Information Session: How to Search & Select a Room Video
2022-2023 Housing Selection Deadlines
|Commuter Pass Available||March 1, 2022|
|Walker Avenue Housing Selection Applications Available
to Current Graduate Residents & 5-Year Residents
|March 16, 2022|
|Walker Avenue & Residential Life Housing Selection Applications Available
to All Current Residents
|March 18, 2022|
|Housing Selection Application Deadline||April 1, 2022 at 5PM|
|Roommate Formation Deadline||April 11, 2022 at Noon|
|Walker Avenue Housing Selection||April 20-21, 2022|
|Residential Life Housing Selection||April 27-29, 2022|
The General Housing Interest (Waitlist) Application will be made available on April 6, 2022 at Noon for commuters and those who missed the housing selection application deadline.