Currents students may have the option to live in our traditional halls, suites, or apartments depending on their number of completed credits and availability of space. We encourage all students to explore our communities prior to completing their housing application.
- Students must have 30 completed credits to be eligible for suites.
- Students must have 39 completed credits to be considered for Walker Avenue Apartments.
- Students generally have 50 completed credits to be considered for Residential Life Apartments.
Housing Application & Room Assignments
Current residents will be eligible to participate in Housing Selection (see below) during the Spring semester for the upcoming academic year. If a current resident completes the Housing Selection Application by the deadline, they will be guaranteed housing for the upcoming academic year.
Current commuters and those who miss the Housing Selection Application deadline are not eligible to participate in Housing Selection or request roommates, but are invited to submit a General Housing Application. Once submitted, they will be added to a housing wait list. Wait list offers will be made throughout the summer and into the academic year, as space permits.
Housing Selection Deadlines
|Walker Avenue Housing Selection Applications Available
to Current Graduate Residents & 5-Year Residents
|March 16, 2022|
|Walker Avenue & Residential Life Housing Selection Applications Available
to All Current Residents
|March 18, 2022|
|Housing Selection Application Deadline||April 1, 2022 at 5PM|
|Roommate Formation Deadline||April 11, 2022 at Noon|
|Walker Avenue Housing Selection||April 20-21, 2022|
|Residential Life Housing Selection||April 27-29, 2022|
The General Housing Application will be made available on April 6, 2022 for commuters and those who missed the housing selection application deadline. Students who complete the General Housing Application will be added to the housing wait list.
Housing Selection for Current Residents
Housing Selection is the process by which current residents select their room and/or roommates for the upcoming academic year. Our system is fully online; you can participate in Housing Selection using your smartphone, tablet, or any computer.
Housing Selection Eligibility
- All currently enrolled UMBC residents are welcome to apply to participate in housing selection.
- You must meet all priority deadlines in order to participate in housing selection:
- Housing Selection Application: April 1, 2022 at 5PM
- Students with outstanding student account balances greater than $250 will not be granted access to the application. You should contact Student Business Services to find out how to clear your account balance. Once you clear your account, you should contact the Residential Life Office to request access to the application.
- Students who are not actively enrolled in classes at the time of Housing Selection will not be eligible for participation.
Housing Selection Application, License & Reservation Fee
Current residents must submit their Housing Selection Application (License and Reservation Fee) by April 1, 2022 at 5PM to be guaranteed on-campus housing and participate in Housing Selection. As part of the application you will be required to acknowledge the Housing License (contract) and pay a $200 Reservation Fee.
- Undergraduate students with less than 39 completed credits are only eligible to complete the Residential Life application.
- Fifth year residents & graduate students are only eligible to complete a WAA application.
- You may have the option to choose between the Residential Life and Walker Avenue Application if you are an undergraduate student with 39 completed credits. If you have access to choose between applications please note:
- You can only choose one application.
- As soon as you select an application, the other choice will disappear.
- If you choose the wrong application, contact Residential Life or Walker Avenue in writing or by phone before April 1, 2022 in order to be reissued the application(s).
- The housing license is a contract.
- Students must complete a housing license in order to be assigned to housing.
- The term of the license is for the entire academic year, both Fall & Spring semesters.
- Students that submit a license and change their mind or cancel their assignment will be assessed a cancellation fee.
- You can only form a roommate group with those students who have completed the same license as yourself (ex. a student who completes the Walker Application cannot live with someone who completes the Residential Life application).
Reservation Fee Facts
- Students must pay a $200 housing reservation fee in order to be assigned to housing.
- The housing reservation fee is mandatory. Students with significant financial need are welcome contact Residential Life by March 18, 2021.
- Payment must be in the form of Credit Card or ACH.
- The reservation fee money will be applied as a credit toward your first 2021-2022 housing bill.
Roommate Group Formation (Optional)
This step is optional, as students may apply for housing and select a room as an individual.
Roommate Group Requirements
- You may form groups of 2 or 4.
- You can only form a roommate groups with those students who have completed the same application as yourself (Walker Avenue or Residential Life).
- Due to the different housing selection cycles, current residents are not able to request incoming freshmen or transfer students as roommates during the Housing Selection process.
- Groups that do not meet size requirements and those with students who did not finalized their housing license will be considered incomplete, and may be split into individual groups of 1.
How to Form a Roommate Group
- Students interested in forming groups, should do so in the housing portal.
- Check out our “How to Find Roommates & Form a Roommate Group Video.”
Roommate Search Function
The Roommate Module in the housing portal allows you to search profiles of students with the same sex and same approved license type (Walker Avenue or Residential Life) from March 18- April 6. You can filter based on sleep habits, room condition, allergies, and more to find a match.
You may choose to hide your profile by going to My Account > Matching Profile Visibility to “Hide”.
Gender Inclusive Roommate Group Formation
Due to system limitations, students seeking to form Gender Inclusive Groups have to wait until the profile searching function is disabled to form groups. Students seeking to form gender inclusive groups will have from April 7 until April 11 to form roommate groups.
Your group’s selection time will be sent to your UMBC email at least two days before the start of the selection period.
Selection times are assigned based on your group’s average completed credits and the selection process in which you are participating, times are not prioritized by group size or class year. If students are part of a roommate group, their group’s average credits will be used to determine the time (ex. Student A has 45 credits and Student B has 15 credits, their Group Average is 30 credits and they will select with other groups/individuals that also have a 30 credit average).
Some students/groups may not receive a selection time if demand for housing is higher than the amount of available spaces. Students who did not receive a selection time but met the other requirements are still guaranteed housing, and will be assigned to housing by the Residential Life Assignments team over the summer. Typically, groups with lower individual or group credit averages may not be issued a selection time.
The group leader must log into the housing portal during the assigned selection time to pick a room from the available inventory. Students have until the conclusion of the selection period to log-in a pick a room. After selection closes, students/groups that did not select will be assigned by Residential Life during the summer.
Please keep in mind that some buildings or communities may not be available for you to select, as they may be dedicated for first-year students and/or Quarantine & Isolation housing.
2021-2022 Housing Selection Information Sessions & Resources
- March 3 at Noon- A Guide to Housing Selection Information Session Video
- March 24 at Noon- General Q&A Drop In
- March 31 at Noon- Accepting a Housing Offer Presentation
- April 7 at Noon- General Q&A Drop In
- April 14 at Noon- Forming a Group & Selecting a Room Video
- April 28 at Noon- General Q&A Drop-In
- 2021-2022 Guide to Housing Selection
- How to Find Roommates & Form a Roommate Group Video
Commuter Housing Application Process
The General Housing Application will be made available to commuters on April 6, 2022. The housing application is the first step for all students interested in living on campus. The application assists in the assignment, roommate matching, and wait list process, so students should make sure they complete this application honestly and accurately.
- Students are encouraged to review our communities and the specialized housing options before submitting the application.
- To access the application, students should log into the housing portal using their myUMBC username and password.
- Commuter students who complete their application after the priority deadline, will be added to the housing wait list, and will be issued the License and Reservation Fee form as space permits.
- It is important to note that the housing license is for the entire academic year, defined as beginning with the start of the Fall Semester through the end of the Spring Semester.
Once the License and Reservation Fee are received, the student can assigned to housing. Housing Assignments are made utilizing the students housing application preferences and eligibility criteria. While we try to honor students preference we cannot guarantee that a student will be assigned to a specific building or room. Within our co-ed communities, students are assigned to rooms, suites and/or apartments with roommates of the same biological sex, unless the student has expressed interest in Gender Inclusive Housing.
Commuter students will be assigned a roommate(s) by the Residential Life Staff. Roommate assignments are made using information provided in the interest housing application. Due to the different housing selection cycles, commuters are not able to request incoming roommates. However, if you know of someone with a vacancy in their room, you are welcome to submit an RT Ticket before June 15, for our staff to look into you request.
Students can expect to receive their assignment and roommate information as early as mid-July via their UMBC email.