Residential Life staff are excited to welcome students and families to UMBC! We want to make sure you have all of the information you need to make your move-in day fun and easy.
Move-In Dates & Times
Residents will receive an email with their specific move-in date and time prior to the start of the semester. Check-in times are based on the student’s room assignment.
Newly Admitted Students
Saturday, August 27, 2022
Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Students should go directly to their community to start the check-in process. View this interactive map for instructions on where to go.
- You will have 15 minutes to unload your vehicle.
- Once your vehicle is unloaded, cars will need to be moved to long-term parking (usually no more than a 5- to 10-minute walk back to the residential community).
- University Police will monitor traffic and parking conditions.
- Please keep in mind that there will be no campus-provided moving assistance, as a measure to reduce contact. A limited number of moving carts will be available.
- Submit medical documentation, immunization, and meningitis documents by August 15, 2022 to Retriever Integrated Health
- Request and/or pick-up your UMBC ID
- Review and pay your E-bill statement online
- Consult the Residential Life Packing List
- Review the UMBC Residential Life Rights & Responsibilities Guide & Retriever Ready COVID-19 site
COVID-19 Move-In Safety Instructions
- We strongly recommend that you bring no more than one (1) additional person to support you with your move-in.
- Students, and those helping with their move-in, are required to wear a KN95 or equivalent masks in all spaces where masking is required. More information, including locations to obtain free masks, is available here.
- You should also consider bringing other personal protective protection equipment (PPE) including gloves and hand sanitizer.
- Students and their families should not travel to campus to move-in if they are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, headaches.
For information about Residential Life COVID guidance and residential student expectations please visit our COVID page. For more information about UMBCs approach to COVID, including testing and vaccination please visit the Retriever Ready website.
Top Five Move-In Tips
- Pack light to make move-in and move-out a snap. Students will have the chance to come home during break periods to swap out items they need with the changing of the seasons.
- Label boxes with your name, building & room number. Movers will be on site to help get items to student rooms quickly; having items labeled will ensure they make it to the right location.
- Bring a cart or dolly. Carts will be available but with lots of students arriving it helps to have your own.
- Dress comfortably. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing, as students and families tend to do a lot of walking on move-in day and during welcome activities.
- Coordinate with your roommate. Since students may be assigned the same check-in time as their roommates, its helpful to coordinate when you each plan to arrive to best navigate the space together.
After You Move-In
Take your time to settle in and make your room your new home! Check out your new community, get connected with your roommates, and attend Welcome Week activities.
If you are looking for dining options during move-in weekend, please visit https://dineoncampus.com/umbc.
Requesting a Move-In Date or Time Change
If you are able to come to campus on your original day, but cannot bring your belongings to move in, please consider coming to campus at your assigned time, and returning with your belongings at a later date or time which is more convenient. Alternatively, students are welcome to check-in any date or time after their scheduled move-in date/time.
Late Arrival Notification
Students are welcome to check-in any time after their assigned time and do not need to formally request to check-in late. However, if your intended arrival date is after the start of first day of classes we request that you submit an RT Ticket letting us know what date you will be arriving.
Early Arrival Requests
Since students are welcome to check-in any time after their assigned time, early arrival requests are rarely granted.
Students with extenuating circumstances (ex. international travel) are encouraged to contact Residential Life submitting an RT Ticket. Be sure to indicate your conflict and preferred date/time for move-in. Please do not submit requests prior to August 1 for Fall Move-In or January 1 for Spring Move-In.
Students who are you are part of an approved Welcome Week group or have other prior approval, do not need to request an early arrival through Residential Life but should work directly with their sponsored group.
Campus Card & Student ID Questions
Why do I need a Campus Card?
In addition to being the official photo ID of UMBC, your Campus Card is also your meal, retail dining, library, gym, and transit card. Your card can provide access into swipe controlled residential halls, apartments, labs, and classrooms across campus.
How do I get a Campus Card?
As the physical UMBC campus remains closed and to maintain social distancing standards, we are requiring all new members of the UMBC community to submit their Campus Card photo online. Once your photo has been accepted, Campus Card will pre-print your card, which you should pick-up before arriving to your residence hall. Please bring with you a valid, government-issued photo ID to obtain your new Campus Card. Accepted forms of ID are:
- Drivers License, Learners Permit or State ID (International licenses/IDs are accepted).
- Passport or passport card.
- Military/Dependent ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- Any form of photo ID with birth certificate.
What if I am a returning student and I lost my Campus Card?
As the physical UMBC campus remains closed and to maintain social distancing standards, we are requiring all returning members of the UMBC community to submit an RT 7 days prior to Move-In, requesting that a new Campus Card to be produced. Campus Card will pre-print your card, which you should pick-up before arriving to your residence hall. Due to COVID-19 guidelines and campus closure, for requests made 7 days prior to Move-In, Campus Card will be submitting all replacement campus card charges to Student Business Services for invoicing. Individuals requesting a replacement card within 6 days of Move-In , will need to request a new card at Campus Card and Mail Services, located in the University Center, UC 112, on their day of move-in.