Students who have completed a Residential Life Housing License are assigned to housing through the end of the Spring semester. Students who have been released from housing prior to the end of the Spring semester (i.e. December Graduates) will receive specific check-out instructions via their UMBC email.
All residential communities close on May 22, 2024 at 9 p.m. Students are expected to vacate 24 hours after their last exam, or by the closing deadline, whichever comes first. While students are not required to vacate early, if this is something you would like to consider please make sure you are following the below instructions.
You may schedule a check-out time with your RA or complete an Express Checkout. These are your two options:
- Express Checkout: This is the fastest and easiest way to check out of a room.
- Residents should bring their UMBC ID card to their community desk to be deactivated after all of their personal items are removed from their room.
- They will be asked to complete an Checkout Receipt on the Housing Portal.
- Residential Life will inspect their room at a later time for potential damages and/or cleaning charges.
- Traditional Checkout with an RA: This option is for residents who would prefer to be present while a RA completes the checkout inspection and/or who know they have caused damage to their room. RAs conducting checkouts will inform residents of potential cleaning or damage charges at the appointment.
- Students should schedule an appointment with a staff member at least 48 hours before departing.
- The student should ensure all items are removed from their room and they a present at the time of their scheduled inspection.
- After their room is inspected, residents should bring their UMBC ID card to their community desk to be deactivated.
- They will be asked to complete a Checkout Receipt on the Housing Portal
- Residential Life will reinspect the room after all residents have vacated.
- Remove all personal items.
- Clean your bathroom and personal spaces well.
- Clean your appliances, if applicable, and dispose of perishable items.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster. Please take large items and bulk trash to dumpsters placed near your community.
- If you rented a microfridge, defrost, unplug, and prop microfridge doors open.
- Set the thermostat between 70-72 (A/C) degrees and set fan to Auto.
- Turn off water.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Report any facilities related issues to FXIT prior to check out
- Complete a Checkout Receipt on the Housing Portal
Failure to remove all items and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action and/or an Improper Checkout Fee.
Late Stay Requests
Residents are eligible to apply for late stay if their permanent address is more than 50 miles (Distance D) from UMBC and they are:
- Have a late exam ending after 9 p.m. on May 22, 2024; or
- Volunteering with commencement
Students who meet this criteria will be issued a Late Stay Application beginning on May 1. Those who believe that meet this criteria and do not have access to the application are encourage to contact our office at least 7 days before halls close. If approved:
- Non-graduating residents approved for late stay will be expected to depart by May 23, 2024 at 10 a.m.
- Graduating residents approved for late stay will be expected to depart by May, May 23, 2024 at 3 p.m.
Transitional & Summer Housing
Summer Housing is available to students who are enrolled in a summer session course or working on campus during summer. Students must complete an application to be considered for summer housing.
If approved for summer housing, only those students whose permanent address is more than 50 miles (Distance D) will be offered Transitional Housing from May 22-May 27. Transitional housing provides residents the opportunity to remain on campus between the end of the Spring Semester and the beginning of Summer Session I.
Can we keep our items in our rooms over the summer if we are returning to the same space?
Students are expected to remove all personal belongings by May 22, 2022 at 9 p.m., so that our staff can access and prepare the halls for fall residents. Students who fail to remove all personal belongings will be assessed a fee for our staff to dispose of the items.
What are the move-out times?
There are not structured move out times, as students are expected to vacate 24 hours after their last exam. We are encouraging residents to consider moving out early, if possible. While students are not required to vacate early, if this is something you would like to consider.
How many people can assist with my move-out?
Similar to move-in, students may have up to two (2) guest assist with their move-out.
Where can out-of-state/international students store their belongings?
Students are not permitted to leave personal items in their rooms after the halls close on May 22, 2024 at 9 p.m. Items that are found during inspection will be disposed, and students will be assessed a disposal fee. Students are encouraged to explore alternative temporary storage options in the area.
Students who are approved from transitional housing (see below) are welcome to store their items in their transitional assignment while they are on campus.
Will there be carts?
Yes, a limited number of moving carts will be available at each community desk. We recommend students and their families bring hand carts or wagons to assist with their checkout.
What happens with microfridges?
Microfridges should remain in the room and arrangements will be made to with the vendor to have them picked up.
Will I be able to live on campus after May 22, 2024 (Summer Housing)?
Residential Life will offer limited summer housing for eligible UMBC students. Please visit our Summer Housing page for more information.
Will the dining hall be open after May 22?
Please visit the UMBC Dining website for hours of operation.
What happens with my meal plan?
Meal plans will end May 22, 2024; unused meals and dining dollars will not be transferable to Summer 2024 or Fall 2024.