Students living in Chesapeake, Erickson, Patapsco, Susquehanna, Harbor East Wing, and Harbor 2nd-5th Floors North (8-month communities) are expected to leave during Fall (Thanksgiving), Winter, and Spring breaks.
November 24, 2021 at 10AM – November 28, 2021 at Noon
December 21, 2021 at 8PM – January 30, 2022 at 9AM
March 18, 2022 at 8PM- March 27, 2022 at Noon
Break Closing Checklist
Student complete the following checklist before departing for break to help ensure the overall health and safety of their room and personal belongings. While 9-month continuous housing does not close for break, students who choose to leave must review this checklist:
- Clean their bathroom and personal spaces well. To avoid a stuffy bathroom, leave the bathroom door open. Make sure it’s okay with suitemates before leaving the bathroom door(s) unlocked.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Set the heat between 68-72 degrees.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall.
- Microfridges and fish tanks may remain plugged in at Thanksgiving and spring break only.
- If approved appliances are left plugged in, make sure the electrical connections are safe: not running under rugs, hanging loosely out of the wall, or plugged into a thin extension cord.
- Feed fish and water plants; please remove fish and/or plants during winter break.
- Take valuables home including medicine, passports, pet fish, and any other items you will need over break. Communities will be inaccessible during break.
- Turn off water. Make sure faucets are not dripping.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Clean your refrigerator and dispose of perishable items.
- Defrost and prop microfridge doors open during winter break.
- Report facilities concerns to FXIT.
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Break Accommodations for 8-Month Residents
Residents in 8-month communities are expected to leave during break periods. UMBC does not provide temporary or break housing for those assigned to 8-month communities.
If a student needs housing on campus during fall, winter, and/or spring breaks they should select a 9-month housing option at the time of application or work with our office prior to fall break to coordinate a room change, as space permits.
If traveling home is not an option, especially during short breaks, we encourage students and families to make off-campus arrangements. Please consider this list of hotels near UMBC as potential options.
Break Reminders for 9-Month Continous Residents
There are limited campus services during most breaks, especially when the University offices are closed.
Residents in 9-month continuous housing will still have access to staff at their community desk, RA, and Campus Police; the Harbor Community Desk has modified hours (8AM-8PM) during semester breaks.
There are limited dining services available during most breaks and no dining service during Fall Break. Students who need food and/or access to food during the fall break please consider alternative food arrangements (ex. Retriever Essentials).
COVID-19 Health & Safety Reminders
- Review CDC guidance on domestic and international travel.
- Consider the most effective way to minimize your risk as you gather with friends and family, particularly if there are individuals in your family who are unvaccinated or at a higher risk of contracting COVID-19. The CDC provides excellent advice on Safer Ways to Celebrate Holidays.
- Make sure you understand and plan for any COVID-19 testing requirements. All community members who are not fully vaccinated will be required to test immediately upon returning to campus. Fully vaccinated community members who do not have symptoms may use on campus testing. View more information about testing.
- If you are sick or are exposed to someone who has COVID-19 during break, please do not return to campus. Review our response and reporting protocols before returning to campus.