Students living in Chesapeake, Erickson, Patapsco, Susquehanna, Harbor East Wing, and Harbor 2nd-5th Floors North (8-month communities) are expected to leave during Fall (Thanksgiving), Winter, and Spring breaks.
November 22, 2023 at 9PM – November 26, 2023 at Noon
December 20, 2023 at 9PM – January 28, 2024 at 9 a.m.
March 15, 2024 at 9PM- March 24, 2024 at Noon
Break Closing Checklist
Students should complete the following checklist before departing for break to help ensure the overall health and safety of their room and personal belongings. While 9-month continuous housing does not close for break, students who choose to leave must review this checklist:
- Clean their bathroom and personal spaces well. To avoid a stuffy bathroom, leave the bathroom door open. Make sure it’s okay with suitemates before leaving the bathroom door(s) unlocked.
- Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
- Set the heat between 68-72 degrees.
- Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall.
- Microfridges and fish tanks may remain plugged in at fall and spring break only.
- If approved appliances are left plugged in, make sure the electrical connections are safe: not running under rugs, hanging loosely out of the wall, or plugged into a thin extension cord.
- Feed fish and water plants; please remove fish and/or plants during winter break.
- Take valuables home including medicine, passports, pet fish, and any other items you will need over break. Communities will be inaccessible during break.
- Turn off water. Make sure faucets are not dripping.
- Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
- Clean your refrigerator and dispose of perishable items.
- Defrost and prop microfridge doors open during winter break.
- Remove all remaining personal items from the floor and place on elevated surfaces. Reminder: Renter’s Insurance is strongly recommended in the event of flood, fire, or theft.
- Report facilities concerns to FXIT.
RAs will conduct an inspection in each 8-month community. Failure to properly prepare your space and vacate by the deadline may result in student conduct action. For more information about break closing please contact your RA or Community Director.
Break Accommodations for 8-Month Residents
Residents in 8-month communities are expected to leave during break periods. UMBC does not provide temporary or break housing for those assigned to 8-month communities.
If a student needs housing on campus during fall, winter, and/or spring breaks they should select a 9-month housing option at the time of application or work with our office prior to fall break to coordinate a room change, as space permits.
If traveling home is not an option, especially during short breaks, we encourage students and families to make off-campus arrangements. Please consider this list of hotels near UMBC as potential options.
During Winter Break, mail service to 8-month communities is discontinued. Mail and packages intended for 8-month communities will be refused and returned to sender during the break period. We encourage students to change their mail/shipping information with service providers prior to the break period.
Break Reminders for 9-Month Continuous Residents
There are limited campus services during most breaks, especially when the University offices are closed.
Residents in 9-month continuous housing will still have access to staff at their community desk, RA, and Campus Police; the Harbor Community Desk has modified hours (8AM-8PM) during semester breaks.
There are limited dining services available during most breaks and no dining service during Fall Break; view the Exam Week & Break Break Dining Services schedule. Students who need food and/or access to food during the fall break please consider alternative food arrangements (ex. Retriever Essentials).