Housing Application Priority Deadlines
Fall 2021 & Spring 2022
|Current Students||Students Admitted to UMBC for Fall 2021||Students Admitted to UMBC for Spring 2022|
|Interest Application Available||March 1, 2021||February 1, 2021||October 1, 2021|
|Interest Application Priority Deadline||March 31, 2021||May 1, 2021||December 15, 2021|
|Housing Offers Issued [as early as]||April 1, 2021||May 2, 2021||December 16, 2021|
|Housing Offer Priority Deadline||April 15, 2021||May 31, 2021||January 1, 2022|
|Roommate Request Deadline||April 18, 2021||June 15, 2021||—|
Step 1: Housing Application
The interest application is the first step for all students interested in living on campus. The application assists in the housing offer (Step 2), assignment, and roommate matching process, so students should make sure they complete this application honestly and accurately. Students are encouraged to review special housing options before submitting the application.
Students who submit an application by their priority deadline are given greater consideration for housing. Students who miss their priority deadline will be added to the housing waitlist.
Visit umbc.edu/go/housing to complete your interest application. Students should enter their myUMBC username and password.
Step 2: Housing Offer (License & Reservation Fee)
The second step in the process is referred to as the Housing Offer, which a student would receive electronically in their UMBC email. Students who accept their offer by completing the license (contract) and reservation fee are guaranteed housing for the upcoming license term.
Offers are made based on the availability of space. In the event that demand for housing is greater than capacity, we have identified factors that prioritize student academic success during COVID-19, to assist with our prioritization of offers.
The term of the license is for the entire academic year, defined as beginning with the start of the Fall Semester, or upon Occupancy whichever occurs first, through the end of the Spring Semester.
If under the age of 18, upon agreeing to the terms of this license, the student will need to complete the License Verification form with a parent/guardian. The License Verification form is based on the following Docusign workflow:
- Student should click the link to the License Verification form in their Housing Offer Application.
- The student will be prompted to provide their name and email address, as well as their guardian’s name and email address.
- The form will open for the to student complete; the student must sign/acknowledge form and hit submit.
- The form will then be sent via email their guardian.
- Once the guardian completes the form, it will be sent to Residential Life with all signatures.
If offered a spot and a student declines or does not respond to the offer, they will be removed from the applicant pool. Students who miss their offer deadline are welcome to submit an RT Ticket to request to be added to the Housing Waitlist.
Step 3: Roommate Requests (Optional)
Only students who meet the Interest Application and Housing Offer priority deadlines may request specific roommates prior to the start of the fall semester.
- The period for current residents to request specific roommates is in April. Current residents should review the Housing Selection Guide for more information about the roommate group formation process.
- The period for newly admitted students to request a specific roommate is mid-May until June 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Students may only request one (1) preferred roommate. Freshmen may only request to live with another freshmen. Instructions on forming groups can be found in you UMBC email from Residential Life.
Students who do not request a specific roommate will be assigned one by the Residential Life Staff. Assignments are made using information provided in the interest housing application.
Step 4: Housing Assignment
Housing assignments will be communicated to students via UMBC email.
- Current residents who complete the application and offer by the priority deadline are expected to login and select their fall room during their assigned selection time. Current residents should review the Housing Selection Guide for more information about the selection process.
- Newly admitted students who completed the application and offer by the priority deadline should expect to receive their assignment in mid-July.
Housing Wait List
Students who miss their priority application deadline are added to the housing wait list. Wait list offers are made throughout the summer and continue through the start of the Spring semester, as space permits. Students will remain on the wait list until we are able to make them an offer.
If issued a housing offer, and a student declines or does not respond to the offer by the expressed deadline, they will be removed from the wait list.
Since we may be unable to accommodate all students on the wait list, we encourage students and families to explore additional housing and transportation options for the fall semester. Below are two campus offices that may be of interest to you to contact:
- Off-Campus Student Services: Supports students with off-campus housing options, carpooling programs, and commuter services
- Transit: Supports students interested in learning about ride share programs and public transportation.
Students who have only licensed for the Spring semester may cancel their housing license prior to the start of the Spring Semester by submitting an RT Ticket. Approved cancellations will result in a will result in a cancellation fee based on timing of the request.
Students seeking to cancel their housing after taking occupancy must formally petition for release from the license.
For more information about the cancellation process visit the Housing Procedures page.