When packing we are encouraging students to only bring what they need to be successful and encourage students to speak with their roommates to determine who is bringing what. As a reminder, storage will be your closet/wardrobe space and under your bed and students have the ability to bring items home and bring new items in during break periods.
What does UMBC provide?
- XL Twin Bed & Mattress (frames can be adjusted create 24″-36″ of underbed storage).
- Desk & Desk Chair
- Wardrobe or Dresser & Closet
- Carpeted Flooring
UMBC has a partnership with BedLoft so that students may rent a loft kit for their bed to create more space in their room.
Apartment & Suite Common Room Furniture
All living rooms come furnished with the following:
- Sofa and/or sofa chairs, coffee table & end tables OR
- Study table and chairs
All apartment kitchens include the following:
- Stove & oven
- Full-size refrigerator
- Sink & cabinets
- Kitchen table & chairs
What to bring?
We could never list all the items you might need while here, but this list should help you get started on what to bring to campus and what to leave at home.
- Cell phone and charger
- Computer, tablet, and chargers
- Surge protector
- TV and gaming system
- Headphones or earbuds
- Sheet sets (extra-long twin recommended), pillows & blankets/ comforter, bathroom towels. Check out our approved vendor, OCM, for linen and care packages!
- Storage tubs/ bins
- Small trash can
- Mirror- full length
- Mattress cover
- School and desk supplies
- Desk or floor lamp
- Reusable water bottle
- First Aid kit
- Personal hygiene products
- Prescription medication
- Students can request complimentary toilet paper at their community desk
- Detergent/ fabric softener
- Dryer sheets/ lint brush
- Laundry bag/ basket
- Surface wipes/ disinfectant spray
- Toilet cleaner
- Hand sanitizer
- Trash bags
- Students can request complimentary paper towels and vacuum cleaners at their community desk
- Lock box
- ATM card, checkbook, and/or credit card
- Government issued ID
- Insurance cards
Kitchen Supplies (Apartments Residents)
- Plates, bowls, mugs, cups, eating utensils
- Pots, pans, cooking utensils
- Sponges, dish soap, dish-drying rack
- Personal small appliance (microwave, can opener, etc.)
Items to Coordinate with Roommate(s)
- Roku or streaming device. Coax cable TV is not available on campus. Live streaming television may be accessed through the Xfinity Stream app.
- Microfridge Rental or Small refrigerator (4.3 cubic foot maximum) (not permitted in Apartment bedrooms)
- Microwave (not permitted in Halls and Suites, unless you rent a Microfridge)
- Air cleaner, purifier, or fan
- Pets, with the exception of fish in aquariums no larger than 10 gallon
- Candles and incense
- Darts and dartboards
- Devices with open flames or exposed heating elements
Electric blankets and heaters
Heat or sun lamps
Hover boards and other motor-propelled devices including motorized scooters, bikes and skateboards
Multi-plug outlets (surge protectors are permitted)
Stoves and grills
- Weapons and ammunition (as defined in the Residential Life Rights & Responsibilities)
Items Prohibited In Halls & Suites
- Rice cookers, toasters, toaster ovens, griddles and non-pedestal “George Foreman”-style grills
- Refrigerators larger than 4.3 cubic feet
- No more than one mini-refrigerator per bedroom maybe present.
- Microwaves are not permitted with the exception of “Microfridge” units and those installed by the University in kitchens/kitchenettes.
Items Prohibited In Apartments
- Residents living in apartments are provided with a refrigerator; no additional refrigeration units may be added.
- Cooking utensils (including kitchen knives) are only permitted in the kitchen areas of apartment communities.