Welcome to UMBC Residential Life Housing Selection 2019-2020!
Housing Selection is the process by which you select your room and/or roommates for the 2019-2020 academic year. Our system is fully online; you can participate in Housing Selection using your smartphone, tablet, or any computer. Just apply, connect and select. The first 500 students to apply will receive a Residential Life mystery gift!
- New! Students must be in good financial standing in order to apply for housing. Students with balances greater than $250 will not have access to the Housing Selection Application. Students on the Monthly Payment Plan who are in good standing with their payments will be eligible to participate. Students who clear their account hold should come to Residential Life, located in Erickson Hall, by or before 5PM on March 26th to request access to the application.
- Students who apply for and participate in Housing Selection are also committing to the financial obligations and terms identified in the housing license for the full 2019-2020 academic year.
- Housing Selection times are based on your cumulative academic credits as of the end of the winter session. If you’re part of a roommate group, your group’s average credits will be used.
- Students must apply for housing as singles, groups of 2 or 4.
- Commuters must be part of a current group of residential students. The group should visit Residential Life in Erickson Hall 184 to fill out a “commuter pass” application between March 4, 2019 and March 26, 2019 during normal business hours.
- 4-person groups DO NOT receive priority for apartment.
- If demand for housing is higher than the amount of available spaces, students with the highest individual or group credit averages will select from the available spaces. Students with lower credit averages are still guaranteed housing, but will be assigned to housing by the Residential Life Assignments team over the summer as spaces become available.
- Many students hope they are able to select an apartment. The typical number of credits required to obtain an Hillside, Terrace or West Hill apartment is approximately 50 (group average). This credit number can vary depending on how many students choose apartments.
- Walker Avenue Apartments: Each member of your group must have 39+ credits to this community. If the demand for Walker Avenue is higher than the amount of available spaces, students with the highest individual or group credit averages will select from the available spaces. Students with lower credit averages will still be guaranteed housing at Walker Avenue, but will be assigned apartments by Walker’s Management Office over the summer as spaces become available. Students who do not participate in April will be notified of their housing assignments during the summer. If you have questions about Walker Avenue Apts. please contact their Management Office.
Application & Selection Dates
- March 4 @ 12:00 PM – Housing applications and licenses available online to eligible students.
- March 26 @ 11:59 PM – Deadline for submitting your housing application and license, including paying your deposit, if applicable. Students who miss the application deadline will be given access to the general housing application and added to a housing waitlist.
- March 28 @ 12:00 PM – All groups will lock; you will not be able to edit your application or roommate group
- March 29 – Selection times are assigned based on your group’s cumulative average and emailed to groups. Your countdown clock to Selection begins in your Residence account
- April 3-5 – Online Room Selection
- April 9-10 – Online Walker Avenue Apartments Selection
- March 4 @ 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM – Commuter Housing Fair at Commons Main Street
- March 6 @ 12:00 PM – Housing Selection Info session in Apartment Community Center (*Will also be streamed on Facebook live)
- March 14 @ 5:00 PM – Housing Selection Info session in Harbor Hall MPR
Roommate Group Formation
- March 4-26– Roommate Group Formation and Roommate Search
- March 6 @ 6:00 PM – RSA Roommate Mixer in Harbor Hall MPR, food will be provided
- March 14 @ 7PM – RSA Roommate Mixer in the Apartment Community Center, food will be provided
- March 26-28 – Gender Inclusive Roommate Group Formation
- Apply: Learn about the housing application options
- Connect: Learn about roommate formation and special communities
- Select: Learn about the room selection process
- Missed the info session? View the slides here! Or watch the presentation here!
- Print the Housing Selection 2019 – 2020 Informational Guide.