Skip to Main Content


Ice is available, free of charge, for your personal use at your community lobby or laundry room. No large coolers please.

Keys, Swipes & Identification Cards
When leaving your room you should lock the door and keep your key and/or swipe card (UMBC red ID) with you at all times. If you get locked out of your room go to your community desk to get a temporary key/swipe card. If this key is not returned a lock change (re-core) will occur and the cost will be billed to your student account. If you lose your key or ID , except in Walker Avenue, report this to the community front desk immediately. Walker residents need to report a lost key to the Walker management office. Your key or ID is for your use only & you may not lend your key or ID to others.

If you lose your red UMBC ID—which is also your room key—you’ll need to go to the Campus Card office first to get a replacement card. You can be issued a temporary card from the Front Desk. There is a $30 charge to your student account or a $20 charge if you pay cash at the Campus Card office. You’ll then need to bring your red UMBC ID to Residential Life office to have it re-programmed—there is an additional $30 fee. There is also a $20 fee if you lose the temporary ID.

All residents, except those living in Walker Avenue, are given a Resident ID. This card must be shown to the Desk Staff upon entry. Residents visiting other communities must leave their Resident ID (or a photo ID) at the community desk.

If you lose your Resident ID, you must go to the Campus Card office for a replacement; there is a $15 replacement fee. Giving your UMBC or resident ID to another person is prohibited.

Toilet Tissue
Toilet tissue is available to hall and apartment residents free of charge at all desks.

Vacuum Cleaners
In the residence communities vacuum cleaners may be checked out from your desk with a valid Resident ID.

Vending Machines
Vending machines are located in the lobby of each residence hall and in the laundry room of each apartment area. Machines are operated by an outside vendor through the Food Services office and include beverage and snack machines. For problems or refunds contact Food Services x5-2188 located in the University Center (UC). Provide the following when you call:

    • Your name
    • Your extension
    • Where you live
    • Detailed description of the problem you are having


All housekeeping performed within the Office of Residential Life is facilitated by an
independently contracted company.  The housekeepers are responsible for the following:

      • Routine cleaning in common and public spaces
      • Trash collection
      • Cleaning prior to Opening and after Closing
      • Emergency after-hours clean up
      • Other duties as assigned

If there is a housekeeping related concern in any public area that requires immediate
attention, it should be reported directly to the UMBC FXIT line (5-3948).

Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of individual rooms, suite common rooms,  bathrooms and kitchens in apartments.  Health and safety inspections occur twice a semester.  UMBC housekeeping staff are responsible for study lounges, residence hall lobbies,
community bathrooms, laundry rooms, hallways and stairwells.  Concerns regarding housekeeping issues should be directed to Residential Facilities or FXIT 5-3948.

Extermination Cycles

Residential Life employs a professional pest control company for regularly scheduled evaluations of the residential communities.  Extermination occurs every Thursday.
Residents are notified in advance before extermination begins.  Students with specific concerns should contact the FXIT line (5-3948) directly.

Products used are water-based and non-toxic.  Maintenance Assistants also help regulate minor pest control problems.

Recycling and Green Initiatives

Residential Life works with other University offices and student groups to promote
sustainability and good environmental stewardship.  Some examples are:

All of our facilities use energy efficient lighting.  During recent renovations and construction, we have used energy efficient windows and HVAC systems.

Instead of ending in a landfill, much of our surplus furniture is processed through the
Terrapin Trader ( where it is resold to students, staff and the general public.  Also, surplus building materials like drywall, paint, kitchen appliances, etc. are donated to a local charity called The Loading Dock (  They then sell the products to other local charities at greatly reduced rates.  Landfill space and fees are saved and local charities receive needed supplies.

Aluminum, glass, and plastic recycling is available in all residential communities.  In the apartment there is a single source recycling container located next to the Dumpsters.  Paper recycling is available in some of the residence halls, usually in your floor lounge.


      • Utilize blue recycling containers (avoid contamination with trash)
      • Turn off lights, computers & monitors when not in use
      • Keep windows shut when air conditioning and heating units are on
      • Purchase energy efficient bulbs and eco-friendly cleaning products
      • Carpool when possible.  Walk or use bicycles between classes
      • Avoid keeping cell phone chargers plugged into outlets when not charging
      • Reduce water use (turn off water when brushing teeth, do laundry with full loads, reduce shower time)
      • Get involved with Students for Environmental Awareness and the Resident Student Association to impact UMBC’s green initiatives.

For more information about campus environmental issues and to get involved, please see the Student for Environmental Awareness at