Skip to Main Content

Special Housing Options

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender Inclusive Housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ sex, gender, gender identity, or gender expression. Residential Life is committed to working with all students to meet their housing needs in an environment that values diversity and promotes dignity of all people. Gender Inclusive Housing is available to upper-class students during the spring housing selection process.

First year students must contact the Residential Life Assignments Office directly to be considered for Gender Inclusive Housing. Cases will be evaluated on an individual basis. Gender Inclusive Housing gives students the option to reside with another person of a different gender or sex in order to provide a welcoming living environment. We hope that students in the process of discovering their gender identity, who do not wish to identify themselves by gender, gay or bisexual students, and students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender will be able to find a more compatible roommate and living situation within this community.

Gender Inclusive Housing will be offered in pre-determined apartments/suites throughout campus including Hillside, Terrace, Walker Avenue and West Hill apartments. Options include 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments and will include a range of prices.It is the student’s choice to communicate with parents or family members about the decision to live in a Gender Inclusive Housing environment. Residential Life encourages this conversation between parents or family members and students about the housing choice so that they can be supportive of the student’s decision. Students are encouraged to reach out to Residential Life staff if they need assistance in beginning these conversations with families.

Students with Special Needs

Residential Life offers a wide variety of housing options to meet specific student needs. The first step in requesting housing accommodation under the ADA is to contact Valerie Valentine at Student Disability Services: or 410-455-8496. The office of Student Disability Services reviews documentation and makes recommendations to Residential Life for housing accommodations. For specific questions about the type of housing available please contact the Residential Life Assignments team at 410-455-8832 or email Jackie Wilson at We look forward to welcoming you to our residential community!

9-month, Continuous Occupancy Housing

If you need housing where you want to live on campus during Winter and Spring breaks you should select from the 9-month housing options which include all apartments on campus: Hillside, Terrace, West Hill and Walker Avenue apartments.  Potomac Hall is also a 9-month community as are the following floors in Harbor Hall: 1st North, 1st West, 2nd South, 2nd West, 3rd South, and 3rd West.  Please note that students choosing Harbor Hall or Potomac Hall must purchase a minimum of a $50 flex meal plan for January term as part of the housing license whether or not students plan to reside in housing for the month of January.

Quiet Lifestyle

Quiet Lifestyle floors enjoy extended quiet hours per community agreement. These floors are:
• Chesapeake 3rd West
• Erickson 4th South
• Harbor 4th South
• Patapsco Basement East
• Potomac Basement South
• Hillside – Elk
• Terrace – Chincoteague
• West Hill – Part of Wye