Moving Service Process & Eligibility Overview
If you choose to contract this service with either approved vendor, UMBC students and their families can contact Von Paris and District Moving directly to make arrangements for the packing and shipping or storing of the items currently in their rooms. This service which is billed directly to the student, uses video chat to engage students in the packing process. Both vendors offer packing, shipping, and/or storage for belongings. Both vendors offer competitive rates for students/families and meet State of Maryland requirements for university vendors. Both are considered essential businesses and can accomplish this work while practicing social distancing and in compliance with the Governor’s order.
- Three Step Moving Process
- Exclusions and Special Considerations
- Moving Services FAQs
Please review the three-step process to contract with a provider:
Reviewing Requirements and Setting Up the Appointment:
- Contact the moving company using the link to approved providers Von Paris and District Moving. They will schedule a date for your room to be packed and information on how to set up the video chat.
- Read the list of items below that are considered packable and not packable and fill out the Prohibited Items Form, if applicable.
Day of the Scheduled Packing Appointment:
- Be available by cell at your scheduled appointment time.
- If a scheduling conflict arises and you will not be available by video chat on your scheduled date and time, please contact the moving company ASAP.
- If you have any prohibited items please complete the Prohibited Items Form.
- You will be contacted by a representative from the moving team at your scheduled window of time for video chat. Remember that the primary objective of this video chat is to ensure that items are identified appropriately and packed.
- Occasionally, there are delays. Please be patient as the moving company may call you slightly outside of their time window. If you did not receive a phone call within one hour (60 minutes) on your predetermined packing reservation, please contact the moving company. We encourage roommates to communicate with each other ahead of time to determine which individual will pack any shared items among their belongings. During the room packing process, the moving company will only speak to the resident and family that has contracted their move.
- If a resident is unresponsive to the outreach from the moving company or UMBC, including confirming by email and being able to chat by video or phone, your reservation will be cancelled.
After the Packing Appointment:
- Residents will coordinate storage, pickup, and or delivery with the mover.
- Student will be billed directly by the mover.
Exclusions and Special Considerations
Both Von Paris and District Moving have inclusions/exclusions that fall into two categories:
1. Food, Beverages, and other Liquids
- All unopened cans or boxes of solid food
- Bagged dry goods
- Spices, whether opened or not opened,
- Lotions, liquid foundation, makeup, perfume, beauty, and skincare products
- Open food, especially any perishable items that could create conditions in storage that would invite small creatures/bugs, etc. will not be packed. Ex: a sealed box of pasta is okay to pack, but the opened container with only 4 cookies left in it is not.
- Some cleaning products are considered hazardous materials
- Bleach, paint thinner, etc. and some other non-pump liquid cleaning supplies can spill and cause more damage in the storage process.
- Additionally, if at any point a stored box needs to be shipped somewhere, it can’t be because of the liquid in a box.
2. Dangerous or Prohibited Items
We are prioritizing the safety of people and property including how we pack belongings and the protection of those individuals who will be packing items. We are asking for our students to voluntarily let us know if they have prohibited items in their room that are dangerous to pack or present a particular danger.
These items are:
- Weapons (including knives with a blade three inches or longer (not including kitchen knives), spears, swords, souvenir weapons, firearms, ammunition, and BB, air, pellet or paintball guns, tasers, stun guns, expandable batons or impact weapons), etc.
- Fireworks or other explosives
- Illegal drugs
There is no reimbursement for the few items that we anticipate may not be packable. If you have a concern about a particular item in your room that you think may potentially be considered dangerous or prohibited we ask you to complete the Prohibited Items Form, to let our team know about the items and their location.
Moving Services Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens to my personal belongings that cannot be stored or shipped?
- What are the costs for packing, shipping, and/or storage with District Moving and Von Paris?
- What will happen if I disclose that there are prohibited items in my room?
- What if I fail to disclose prohibited items in my room?
What happens to my personal belongings that cannot be stored or shipped?
Dangerous/Prohibited belongings will be documented by Residential Life staff and surrendered to University Police. In the interest of safety and education, we are providing a written warning, also known as a Policy Notification Letter, which is not considered a formal conduct violation. Instead, it is considered an “educational warning”; the letter will inform the student of the applicable rule and remind them of community standards. Depending on a range of factors including the student’s conduct history and mitigating and aggravating circumstances, additional follow up may include educational resources, a conversation with a staff member, or formal charges or sanctions. Specific questions, real or hypothetical, may be directed to Residential Life staff via RT Ticket.
Open food and beverage items that do not meet the shipping/storage requirements will be disposed of.
What are the costs for packing, shipping, and/or storage with District Moving and Von Paris?
UMBC has approved two vendors for packing, storing and moving personal belongings. You may also visit their UMBC moving/storage/shipping webpage at: Von Paris and District Moving. The following applies to both movers:
- The cost to pack up and remove belongings from the student’s room/apartment is $200 and will include normal packing material and services. Oversized and fragile items (i.e. flat screen TV, bikes, personal furniture), can be packed for an additional fee of $75 for each item.
- The companies listed above will provide 30 days of complimentary storage in a climate-controlled facility. If additional storage is needed the cost is $10 for each month. Students will not be assessed any additional charges for picking up any stored items.
- Shipping of packed items can be arranged. There is a $250 flat-rate delivery fee within a 100-mile radius of UMBC (Von Paris) or Waldorf, MD (District Moving). Rates for destinations outside of those areas will be priced individually with the moving company. Shipping options exist for long-distance and international addresses.
What will happen if I disclose that there are prohibited items in my room?
Collecting information for these limited items will allow us to maintain the safety of personnel and everyone’s property. These items will be documented, collected, and provided to UMBC PD. We understand that some of you may be concerned about acknowledging such items. We value your help in maintaining a safe and secure environment so advance disclosure of such items will be an important mitigating factor in the University’s response.
Specific questions about response to prohibited and dangerous items may be directed to Residential Life using the RT Ticket system.
What if I fail to disclose prohibited items in my room?
Failure to disclose could be considered as a factor in the University’s response and may result in an additional charge of non-compliance.