Skip to Main Content

Special Housing Options

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender Inclusive Housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ sex, gender, gender identity, or gender expression. Residential Life is committed to working with all students to meet their housing needs in an environment that values diversity and promotes dignity of all people. Gender Inclusive Housing is available to upper-class students during the spring housing selection process.

First-year students may apply to be considered for Gender Inclusive Housing. Student housing applications will be reviewed by Residential Life staff in order to determine if a student is a good candidate for Gender Inclusive Housing. Gender Inclusive Housing gives students the option to reside with another person of a different gender or sex in order to provide a welcoming living environment. We hope that students in the process of discovering their gender identity, who do not wish to identify themselves by gender, gay or bisexual students, and students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender will be able to find a more compatible roommate and living situation within this community.

Gender Inclusive Housing will be offered in pre-determined apartments/suites throughout campus including Hillside, Terrace, Walker Avenue and West Hill apartments. Options include 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments and will include a range of prices.It is the student’s choice to communicate with parents or family members about the decision to live in a Gender Inclusive Housing environment. Residential Life encourages this conversation between parents or family members and students about the housing choice so that they can be supportive of the student’s decision. Students are encouraged to reach out to Residential Life staff if they need assistance in beginning these conversations with families.

Housing Accommodations

Residential Life offers a wide variety of housing options to meet specific student needs. For specific questions about the type of housing available please contact the Residential Life Assignments team at 410-455-2591 or email Amanda Scally at

The first step in the accommodation process is to work with the office of Student Disability Services, which reviews documentation and makes recommendations to Residential Life for housing accommodations. Students with documented disabilities that would like to request a housing accommodation based on a disability/disabling condition will need to register with the Office of Student Disability Services (SDS) through Accommodate (via the online SDS Registration Form) and provide documentation of their disability and limitations that would require a modification to housing. Valerie Valentine at Student Disability Services: or 410-455-8496 is the recommended contact for students seeking housing accommodations. Students should also note their housing accommodation requests on the housing application submitted to Residential Life. We look forward to welcoming you to our residential community!

Service and Emotional Support Animals

UMBC  is committed to complying with federal, state and local laws regarding individuals with disabilities. In that regard, UMBC supports students with disabilities who require the assistance of a service, support or assistance animal and who have been approved for an accommodation by Student Disability Services. Once an accommodation is approved by Student Disability Services, the student must complete the following steps before the animal can be brought into the halls:

  • Meet with a Residential Life representative to review the policy,
  • Submit the required residential life documentation, and
  • Receive a formal approval letter from Residential Life

As of October 2020, seventeen (17) states have had salmonella outbreaks attributed to pet hedgehogs, bearded dragons, and turtles obtained through pet stores. Hospitalizations and in rare instances death have resulted. At this time, UMBC reserves the right to deny these species from University housing to protect the safety of our students in the residential community.

Students who have animals present in their room but have not received approval from both Student Disability Services & Residential Life may face student conduct action.

Click here to review 2020-2021 Procedural Guidelines and Agreement for Maintaining a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal For Residential Students at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County

9-month, Continuous Occupancy Housing

If you need housing where you want to live on campus during Winter and Spring breaks you should select from the 9-month housing options which include all apartments on campus: Hillside, Terrace, West Hill and Walker Avenue apartments.  Potomac Hall is also a 9-month community as are the following floors in Harbor Hall: 1st North, 1st West, 2nd South, 2nd West, 3rd South, 3rd West, and 4th West.  Please note that students choosing Harbor Hall or Potomac Hall must purchase a minimum of a $50 flex meal plan for January term as part of the housing license whether or not students plan to reside in housing for the month of January.

Quiet Lifestyle

Quiet Lifestyle floors enjoy extended quiet hours per community agreement. These floors are:
• Chesapeake 3rd West
• Erickson 4th South
• Harbor 4th South
• Patapsco Basement East
• Potomac Basement South
• Hillside – Elk
• Terrace – Chincoteague
• Walker Avenue Apartments – Bottom two floors of Stack 6
• West Hill – Part of Wye

Recovery and Sober Living Resources: The Haven at UMBC

As part of its partnership with The Haven at College, UMBC is now offering a recovery residence near campus and on UMBC Transit’s shuttle route. The Haven at UMBC Recovery Residence is a peer-led, clinically supervised residential community where students help each other navigate sobriety, identifying with each other’s challenges, and sharing successes – while succeeding in college. It includes weekly sessions with a clinical addiction counselor and weekly drug and alcohol testing. Financial support is available. For more information, call the Haven admissions line at 888-224-2836. Current UMBC residents who elect to participate in The Haven at UMBC are eligible to petition for release from their housing license. Students who are able to show enrollment in The Haven at UMBC housing will be released from the financial obligations of the housing license. For more information about the petition process, please email Amanda Scally at