Skip to Main Content

Amenities & Services

All of our facilities have:

  • Carpeting
  • Cable & Internet
  • Individually controlled heating and air conditioning
  • Semi-private bathrooms shared by no more than five people
  • Wireless access (individual rooms in residence halls and in common rooms for apartments)
  • Rooms are furnished a one bed, wardrobe or closet, desk, and chair for each person assigned to the room.

Television Streaming Services

UMBC works with Comcast Xfinity to provide IPTV. Students can use the streaming service both on campus and off-campus on their laptop or mobile device and UMBC login. Students can also store up to DVR up to 20 hours of television. In order to utilize this service directly through your television, you must have a 2017 Samsung TV (or newer) or a Roku. You can always elect to connect your laptop or mobile device to your television via HDMI or a mirroring service. To start streaming visit, select UMBC, and login.


Internet Access is available in each resident’s room or apartment; one high-speed internet jack per student. Wireless access is available in all common areas and rooms. Internet on campus is provided by Comcast at a speed of 100Mbps Down/100Mbps Up. Additional information is available by accessing UMBC’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) homepage: Select “Purchasing a Computer” for “Student Purchases.”


All washers and dryers will be free to operate. Laundry facilities are available in all residential areas:

  • In the Residence Halls, laundry rooms are located in the basement or ground floor.
  • West Hill, Terrace, and Hillside laundry is available in the Apartment Community Center and in Elk.
  • Each apartment in Walker Avenue Apartments has its own washer and dryer.
  • Check the status of a Laundry Machine

Quick Laundry References

Dining & Meal Plans

Dining Plans are designed to accommodate the diverse needs of our students. After signing up for a dining plan, use your student ID to access your dining plan at True Grit’s, The Commons, the A.O.K. Library, The University Center, or the Admin Coffee Shoppe. Students on any of our meal plans can take advantage of the Meal Exchange option. With this option, students can “trade” a meal at The Commons Market Street, The Commons Retriever Lounge, University Center, and the AOK Library.

Flex Plans allow you to use the allotted number of meals (14 or 10) any way you choose during the week. The week runs from Monday Breakfast through Sunday Late Night. Flex plans allow you to eat more than one meal per meal period. For example, eating lunch at 11:00 am, and second meal at 3:30 pm would place both meals in the lunch meal period. You can swap unused meals for cash allowance toward a la carte purchases at numerous locations around campus. Meal exchanges in the Outtakes C-Store at True Grit’s will be limited to one meal per meal period.

For more information about meal plans visit


Ice is available, free of charge, for your personal use at your community lobby or laundry room. No large coolers please.

Keys & Identification Cards

When leaving your room you should lock the door and keep your key and/or swipe card (UMBC red ID) with you at all times. If you get locked out of your room go to your community desk to get a temporary key/swipe card. If this key is not returned a lock change (re-core) will occur and the cost will be billed to your student account. If you lose your key or ID , except in Walker Avenue, report this to the community front desk immediately. Walker residents need to report a lost key to the Walker management office. Your key or ID is for your use only & you may not lend your key or ID to others.

If you lose your red UMBC ID—which is also your room key—you’ll need to go to the Campus Card office first to get a replacement card. You can be issued a temporary card from the Front Desk. There is a $30 charge to your student account or a $20 charge if you pay cash at the Campus Card office. You’ll then need to bring your red UMBC ID to Residential Life office to have it re-programmed—there is an additional $30 fee. There is also a $20 fee if you lose the temporary ID.

All residents, except those living in Walker Avenue, are given a Resident ID. This card must be shown to the Desk Staff upon entry. Residents visiting other communities must leave their Resident ID (or a photo ID) at the community desk.

If you lose your Resident ID, you must go to the Campus Card office for a replacement; there is a $15 replacement fee. Giving your UMBC or resident ID to another person is prohibited.


Mail is delivered to the residential facilities daily, Monday through Friday. All residents are assigned a mailbox in their hall or apartment area. You will share your mailbox with your roommate(s). Hall residents can pick up mail in the residence hall lobby. Apartment residents can pick up mail at the Apartments Community Center. Please encourage people who send you important letters or packages to have them registered, certified, and/or insured. “C.O.D” letters or packages are not accepted at the desks.

Your mail should be addressed like the example below to avoid delays or loss:

Your Name
[Hall/Apartment Community Name], Room/Apartment #[Number]
UMBC, 1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250

For example:

John Smith
Erickson Hall, Room #105
UMBC, 1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250

During January, first class mail of the residents who live in the residence halls (not the continuous occupancy halls) is forwarded to the home address. During summer, only first class mail is sent to the permanent address on file. Bulk and third class mail is held until students return to campus. On-campus mail may be sent without a stamp to any location on the UMBC campus from the desks or from the mailroom located in the University Center. Simply mark your envelope “campus mail” and drop it off at the desk. Outgoing mail to off-campus locations requires adequate postage and can be left at the desk for daily pick up, Monday through Friday, or dropped into any U.S. mail box.

Toilet Tissue

Toilet tissue is available to hall and apartment residents free of charge at all desks.

Vacuum Cleaners

In the residence communities vacuum cleaners may be checked out from your desk with a valid Resident ID.

Vending Machines

Vending machines are located in the lobby of each residence hall and in the laundry room of each apartment area. Machines are operated by an outside vendor through the Food Services office and include beverage and snack machines. For problems or refunds contact Food Services x5-2188 located in the University Center (UC). Provide the following when you call:

  • Your name
  • Your extension
  • Where you live
  • Detailed description of the problem you are having


All housekeeping performed within the Office of Residential Life is facilitated by an
independently contracted company.  The housekeepers are responsible for the following:

  • Routine cleaning in common and public spaces
  • Trash collection
  • Cleaning prior to Opening and after Closing
  • Emergency after-hours clean up
  • Other duties as assigned

If there is a housekeeping related concern in any public area that requires immediate attention, it should be reported directly to the UMBC FXIT line (5-3948).

Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of individual rooms, suite common rooms,  bathrooms and kitchens in apartments.  Health and safety inspections occur twice a semester.  UMBC housekeeping staff are responsible for study lounges, residence hall lobbies, community bathrooms, laundry rooms, hallways and stairwells.  Concerns regarding housekeeping issues should be directed to Residential Facilities or FXIT 5-3948.

Extermination Cycles

Residential Life employs a professional pest control company for regularly scheduled evaluations of the residential communities.  Extermination occurs every Thursday. Residents are notified in advance before extermination begins.  Students with specific concerns should contact the FXIT line (5-3948) directly. Products used are water-based and non-toxic.  Maintenance Assistants also help regulate minor pest control problems.

Recycling and Green Initiatives

Residential Life works with other University offices and student groups to promote sustainability and good environmental stewardship.  Some examples are:

  • Reduce: All of our facilities use energy efficient lighting.  During recent renovations and construction, we have used energy efficient windows and HVAC systems.
  • Reuse: Instead of ending in a landfill, much of our surplus furniture is processed through the Terrapin Trader ( where it is resold to students, staff and the general public.  Also, surplus building materials like drywall, paint, kitchen appliances, etc. are donated to a local charity called The Loading Dock (  They then sell the products to other local charities at greatly reduced rates.  Landfill space and fees are saved and local charities receive needed supplies.
  • Recycle: Aluminum, glass, and plastic recycling is available in all residential communities.  In the apartment there is a single source recycling container located next to the Dumpsters.  Paper recycling is available in some of the residence halls, usually in your floor lounge.

For more information about campus environmental issues and to get involved, please see the Student for Environmental Awareness at