Congratulations and welcome to UMBC! Below, you will find information on the steps you need to complete in order to successfully apply for on campus housing. Be sure to review the information below so that you are fully prepared when you arrive at UMBC.
If you are a current UMBC student please visit our currently enrolled UMBC student page for information about housing deadlines.
Transfer students may have the option to live in our traditional halls, suites, or apartments depending on their number of completed credits at the time of application/assignment and availability of space. We encourage all students to explore our communities prior to completing their housing application.
- Students must have 30 completed credits to be eligible for suites.
- Students must have 39 completed credits to be considered for Walker Avenue Apartments.
- Students generally have 50 completed credits to be considered for Residential Life Apartments.
Transfer Housing Application Process
This process begins before you arrive for orientation and continues until you receive your confirmation email with your room assignment, your roommates, and their contact information as well as information about move-in day. Find out more about the housing application and room assignment process.
The housing application is the first step for all students interested in living on campus. The application assists in the assignment, roommate matching, and wait list process, so students should make sure they complete this application honestly and accurately.
- Students are encouraged to review our communities and the specialized housing options before submitting the application.
- To access the application, students should log into the housing portal using their myUMBC username and password.
- Transfer students who complete their application by the priority deadline are guaranteed to be issued the Housing Offer (License and Reservation Fee form) via their UMBC email. It is important to note that the housing license is for the entire academic year, defined as beginning with the start of the Fall Semester through the end of the Spring Semester.
- Transfer students who complete their application after the priority deadline, will be added to the housing wait list, and will be issued the License and Reservation Fee form as space permits.
Once the License and Reservation Fee are received, the student can be assigned to housing.
Priority Deadlines for Spring 2022 Admits
|Housing Application Available||October 1, 2021|
|Housing Application Priority Deadline||December 15, 2021|
|Housing Offer Emailed [as early as]||December 16, 2021|
|New Student Move-In||January 30, 2022|
Priority Deadlines for Fall 2022 Admits
|Housing Application Available||April 1, 2022|
|Housing Application Priority Deadline||May 1, 2022|
|Housing Offer Emailed [as early as]||May 2, 2022|
|New Student Move-In||August 30, 2022 (tentative)|
Roommate & Room Assignments
Housing Assignments are made utilizing the students housing application preferences and eligibility criteria. While we try to honor students preference we cannot guarantee that a student will be assigned to a specific building or room. Within our co-ed communities, students are assigned to rooms, suites and/or apartments with roommates of the same biological sex, unless the student has expressed interest in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- Newly Admitted Transfer students are assigned to housing by Residential Life staff.
- Students that apply for and are selected to live in a Living-Learning Community (LLC) are assigned by the LLC Coordinator.
Incoming transfer students can request one (1) preferred roommate who is also a transfer student. Due to our various housing application cycles, transfer students cannot request to live with current UMBC. Students will receive specific instructions for requesting a roommate in the housing portal. The period for newly admitted students to request a specific roommate is mid-May until June 15 at 11:59 p.m.
Students who do not request a specific roommate will be assigned one by the Residential Life Staff. Roommate assignments are made using information provided in the interest housing application.
Newly admitted transfers should expect to receive their assignment and roommate information in mid-July or mid-January via their UMBC email.