- The application assists in the assignment and roommate matching process, so make sure you complete this application honestly and accurately. Students are encouraged to review special housing options before submitting the application.
- Newly admitted undergraduate students who apply for housing by the May 1, 2019 priority deadline are guaranteed a housing offer for the upcoming academic year.
- Newly admitted graduate students and/or students who miss the priority deadline are encouraged to submit a General Housing Application at any point. Once submitted, they will be added to a housing wait list. Wait list offers will be made throughout the summer and into the start of the Fall semester.
- Click here to access the online housing application. Enter your myUMBC username and password. Do not give a friend or family member your username and password to complete for you.
Housing Offer: Housing License & Deposit
- First-year students who complete the application by May 1, 2019 are required to acknowledge the housing license and pay the deposit at the time of application submission.
- Transfer students who complete the application by May 1, 2019 will be emailed a Housing License & Deposit application in mid-May. They must read and accept the terms of the housing license online and pay the $200 housing deposit by the deadline in the offer email in order to be assigned to housing for the upcoming year.
- Wait listed students may be emailed an offer, if and when space becomes available. They must read and accept the terms of the housing license online and pay the $200 housing deposit by the deadline in the offer email in order to be assigned to housing for the upcoming year.
- If under the age of 18, upon agreeing to the terms of this license, you will need to complete License Verification form with a parent/guardian. Further instructions will be provided in the application.
- The deadline for newly admitted first-year students to request a specific roommate is June 14 at 11:59 p.m. Students may only request ONE (1) preferred roommate who is also an incoming Fall 2019 Freshman.
- If you would like to form a group of 3 for a triple occupancy room (3 sets of furniture in one larger room at a reduced cost) or are having technical difficulty, please contact Wendy Crowe in Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-455-8832. Please do not form a group of 4, as it will not be honored.
- Instructions on forming groups can be found in you UMBC email from Residential Life.
Housing Assignments & Offers Communicated
- Housing assignments and/or offers will be communicated to students via UMBC email.
- Students that completed the application by May 1 should receive their assignment on July 15, 2019.
- Students that completed the application after May 1 will receive communication about housing offers throughout the summer and into the start of the Fall semester.
Housing Wait List Resources
Wait list offers will be made throughout the summer and into the start of the Fall semester. Students will remain on the wait list until we are able to make them an offer which could be as early as August and as late as January. If offered a spot and your student declines or does not respond to the offer, they will be removed from the wait list.
Notification of Housing Cancellation
- Students may cancel their housing license prior to the start of the Fall Semester by emailing email@example.com. Approved cancellations will result in a $200 housing deposit forfeiture. A cancellation fee may be applied based on timing of the request.
- For more information about the cancellation process visit https://reslife.umbc.edu/housing/appeals/
Important Housing Terminology
- Application: Current and admitted students must submit an online application in order to be considered for housing.
- License: The housing license is a contract between the student and UMBC Residential Life, similar to a lease. Students and/or their families who acknowledge the housing license as part of the application process are committing to the financial obligations and terms identified in the housing license for the full academic year.
- Deposit: All students pay a $200 non-refundable housing deposit in order to live on campus. The deposit will be returned to you if you remain in housing through the length of your contract term.
- Waitlist: We maintain a waitlist for housing during the summer months and in December/January before the beginning of each semester. If we are able to offer you housing we will contact you via your UMBC email with instructions on how to accept your offer.
- Assignment Priority: Students on the wait list will be offered housing based on distance from campus. Students whose permanent home addresses are furthest from the UMBC campus will be offered housing first.
- Cancellation: Students may cancel their housing license prior to occupancy (the start of the license term) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Approved cancellations will result in a $200 housing deposit forfeiture. A cancellation fee may be applied based on timing of the request.
- Appeal: Students seeking release from their housing license after the start of an academic year, must email email@example.com. Appeals may be submitted for significant change in financial, medical, or academic status. Students granted an appeal may be subject to cancellation fees, pro-rated charges, and/or housing deposits forfeitures, as outlined in the housing license.
- For more information about the cancellation and appeal processes visit https://reslife.umbc.edu/housing/appeals/