Skip to Main Content

Housing Procedures

Housing Eligibility & Academic Enrollment

Students must be enrolled full-time to be considered for on-campus housing. Undergraduate students enrolled in fewer than 12-credit hours and graduate students enrolled in fewer than 9-credit hours each semester may be required to vacate housing.

Students who believe that they will be unable to meet the full-time enrollment requirement should submit an RT Ticket to schedule a meeting regarding their housing eligibility.

Housing Application

Students must complete a housing application to be considered for on-campus housing. All active applications are available via the housing portal.

Priority Application & Guaranteed Housing Offers

Current residents and newly admitted undergraduate students who submit their housing application by the established priority deadlines are guaranteed a housing offer for the upcoming term.

General Application & Wait List

Newly admitted graduate students, commuters, and/or students who miss the priority deadline submit a General Housing Application. Once submitted, they will be added to a housing wait list. Wait list offers will be made throughout the summer and into the start of the Fall semester.

Housing Reservation Fee

Each year students must submit a $200 housing reservation fee as an indication of their commitment to live on campus before they can be assigned. The housing reservation is applied as a credit to the students first housing bill. The housing reservation fee is mandatory. Students with significant financial need are welcome contact Residential Life.

Housing License (Housing Contract)

Students complete a housing license in order to be assigned to housing. The term of the license is for the entire academic year, defined as beginning with the start of the Fall Semester, or upon Occupancy whichever occurs first, through the end of the Spring Semester.

Cancellation & Petition for Release

Pre-Occupancy or before the start of the License Term

Students may cancel their housing license prior to occupancy or the start of the license term, whichever comes sooner, by submitting an RT Ticket.

Fall 2021 Cancellation Fee Schedule

A cancellation fee will be applied based on timing of the request. Please see the cancellation fee schedule below:

    • Prior to May 31, 2021- $200 Cancellation Fee
    • June 1, 2021 to June 30, 2021- $400 Cancellation Fee
    • July 1, 2021 to July 31, 2021- $500 Cancellation Fee
    • August 1, 2021 to August 30, 2021- $600 Cancellation Fee
    • Occupancy or August 31, 2021, whichever comes first- $700 Cancellation Fee

Spring 2022 Cancellation Fee Schedule for Spring Only Residents

A cancellation fee will be applied based on timing of the request for Spring only residents. Please see the cancellation fee schedule below:

    • Prior to December 31, 2021- $200 Cancellation Fee
    • January 1, 2022 to January 30, 2022- $400 Cancellation Fee
    • Occupancy or August 31, 2021, whichever comes first- $700 Cancellation Fee
Post Occupancy or after the start of the Term

UMBC may release a resident from their License under limited circumstances upon receipt of a written Petition requesting such extraordinary action accompanied by appropriate documentation. License releases are extraordinary, not automatic, and will be reviewed, with appropriate supporting documentation, if satisfying one of the following circumstances:

    • for Residents seeking to fulfill academic requirements of UMBC which require work outside of commuting distance to UMBC, or
    • for Residents with exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical condition rendering the license an undue hardship or impossibility of use and occupation).

To seek consideration for a release from the terms and conditions, residents must complete the License Release Petition request form available by submitting an RT Ticket.

Review, for approval or denial, of the License release petition will be conducted by the License Review Committee. Submission of a request form does not guarantee approval/release from the Housing License.

A denial of the License release petition will cause the Resident to continue to be obligated to the License terms and conditions, including financial responsibility, for the Term of the License.

An approval of the License Release will include an effective date. License releases will also include cancellation of the meal plan unless resident opts to maintain a meal plan with Food Services. Students granted an appeal may be subject to cancellation fees, pro-rated charges, and/or housing deposits forfeitures (prior to Fall 2021), as outlined in the housing license.

Room Assignment Process

Current students who are eligible to participate in Housing Selection will select their academic room assignment from available inventory during their assigned selection time. Some students/groups may not receive a selection time if demand for housing is higher than the amount of available spaces. Students who did not receive a selection time but met the other requirements are still guaranteed housing, but will be assigned to housing by the Residential Life Assignments team over the summer as spaces become available.

New students and those offered a room assignment are assigned by Residential Life staff based on their housing application responses.

  • Room assignments are typically communicated in mid-July for students assigned to housing for the full academic year.
  • Room assignments are typically communicated in mid-January for students assigned to housing for the Spring semester only.

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender Inclusive Housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ sex, gender, gender identity, or gender expression. Residential Life is committed to working with all students to meet their housing needs in an environment that values diversity and promotes dignity of all people. Gender Inclusive Housing is available to upper-class students during the spring housing selection process.

New students must indicate a preference for Gender Inclusive Housing on their housing application. Cases will be evaluated on an individual basis.

It is the student’s choice to communicate with parents or family members about the decision to live in a Gender Inclusive Housing environment. Residential Life encourages this conversation between parents or family members and students about the housing choice so that they can be supportive of the student’s decision. Students are encouraged to reach out to Residential Life staff if they need assistance in beginning these conversations with families.

Housing Accommodations

Residential Life offers a wide variety of housing options to meet specific student needs. For specific questions about the type of housing available please contact the Residential Life Assignments team at 410-455-2591 or email Amanda Scally at

The first step in the accommodation process is to work with the office of Student Disability Services, which reviews documentation and makes recommendations to Residential Life for housing accommodations. Students with documented disabilities that would like to request a housing accommodation based on a disability/disabling condition will need to register with the Office of Student Disability Services (SDS) through Accommodate (via the online SDS Registration Form) and provide documentation of their disability and limitations that would require a modification to housing. Valerie Valentine at Student Disability Services: or 410-455-8496 is the recommended contact for students seeking housing accommodations. Students should also note their housing accommodation requests on the housing application submitted to Residential Life.

Emotional Support & Service Animals

UMBC  is committed to complying with federal, state and local laws regarding individuals with disabilities. In that regard, UMBC supports students with disabilities who have a service animal or who have an approved accommodation for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) through Student Disability Services.

The first step in the accommodation process for those requesting an Emotional Support Animal in the Residential communities is to register with the Office of Student Disability Services (SDS).  SDS will review and maintain the confidential disability documentation and make recommendations to Residential Life for necessary housing accommodations.

Unlike an ESA, a student with a Service Dog does not need an accommodation approval through SDS.

However, any student seeking to have an Emotional Support Animal or Service Dog in a University Housing must register their animal and receive written permission to have the animal in the University Housing by Residential Life (see below).

Students should begin the Residential Life registration process at least two (2) weeks before housing selection or the housing licensing deadline.

The student must complete the following Residential Life registration steps before the animal may be permitted to be brought into the halls or apartments:

  1. Meet with a Residential Life representative for an intake meeting and to review Procedural Guidelines and Agreement for Maintaining a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal for Residential Students at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County;
  2. Submit all required animal documentation to Residential Life; and
  3. Receive a formal written permission from Residential Life.

Students who are found on-campus in possession of an animal without receiving formal permission from Residential Life may face student conduct action.

Click here to review 2021-2022 Procedural Guidelines and Agreement for Maintaining an Emotional Support Animal For Residential Students at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County

Check In Procedures

Students are permitted to move-in at least two (2) days prior to the start of the semester. Information about Move-In dates can be found on the Residential Life website.

When a student moves into a new room or community, they should formally check-in at their community desk or with their Community Director. Resident students will be issued a Residential ID, Campus ID Card access to their bedroom, and a room key (if applicable) once they check-in at the desk. In the event that they do not receive their Residential ID card at the Community Desk, they should request a new Residential ID from Campus Card & Mail Services.

Once they move-in to their space they should notify their RA of any pre-existing damages or issues in their bedroom.  The RA will either instruct them to complete a Room Condition Report with their roommate(s) or update the existing Room Condition Report.

Room Freeze Periods

During the first two (2) weeks of each semester and during the exam period, room changes are not permitted.  Room Freezes allow Residential Life to “take attendance,” move any students out of their temporary assignments, and place students on the wait list. Room assignments also are frozen toward the end of each semester to allow Residential Life staff to prepare for any upcoming transitions.


Students who live in a room with a vacancy should be aware that an assignment to the vacant space may be made at any time during the academic year. Such assignment does not need the agreement of the current resident.  Students living in a room with a vacancy should only occupy/use one (1) set of furniture.

Room Changes

Every room change must be approved in advance and in writing by Residential Life. Residential Life reserves the right to change a room assignment at any point during the academic year when that change is deemed to be in the best interest of the University or the residents concerned.

Residents experiencing a roommate conflict are encouraged to seek assistance from their RA or Community Director before a room change will be considered. If a roommate conflict cannot be resolved, requests for room changes during the academic year may be granted outside of the Room Freeze Period.

Residents seeking a room change should contact their Community Director to initiate the room change process.

When possible, a new housing assignment will be made to an existing vacancy.

Room changes are typically scheduled to take place over the weekend between Noon on Friday and 10PM on Sunday. Students approved for a room change will receive written confirmation and instructions for changing rooms.

Health & Safety Inspections

Residential Life values the creation of a safe environment in every residential community. Residential Life conducts visual health and safety checks in residential rooms intermittently throughout the semester to increase safety within our residential buildings by timely identification and removal of prohibited items. These checks also allow our staff an opportunity to educate residents through positive, personal contact.

The Residential Life Facilities Staff, in collaboration with UMBC Police and UMBC Health and Environmental Safety routinely inspects all fire detection systems in the residential facilities.

Residents are not expected to be present during the inspection, but if they would like to be they should contact their Resident Assistant to schedule a time.

If concerns or issues are found in their room, they will receive notification via email.

Break Closing

Students living in 8-month communities are expected to leave during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks and should complete the following checklist before departing for break to help ensure the overall health & safety of their room and personal belongings. While Potomac Hall, Harbor 9-Month rooms & Apartments do not close for break, if they choose to leave please review the checklist:

  • Clean their bathroom and personal spaces well.To avoid a stuffy bathroom, leave the bathroom door open. Make sure it’s okay with their suitemates before leaving the bathroom door(s) unlocked.
  • Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
  • Set the heat between 72-74.
  • Unplug all appliances and extension cords from the wall. Microfridges and fish tanks may remain plugged in at Thanksgiving and Spring Break only. If approved appliances are left plugged in, make sure the electrical connections are safe: not running under rugs, hanging loosely out of the wall, or plugged into a thin extension cord.
  • Feed their fish and water your plants; please remove fish and/or plants during Winter Break.
  • Take valuables home including medicine, passports, pet fish, and any other items you will need over break. Communities will be inaccessible during break.
  • Turn off water. Make sure faucets are not dripping.
  • Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
  • Close and lock all windows and doors.
  • Close blinds on ground floor rooms; leave blinds up on all other floors.
  • Clean your refrigerator and dispose of perishable items. Defrost and prop microfridge doors open during Winter Break.
  • Report facilities concerns to an RA or FIXIT (x53948).

Residential Life Staff will conduct an Health & Safety Inspections in 8-month communities at closing.

Check Out Procedures

Residents are expected to checkout of their room 24-hours after their last academic commitment or by the established community/hall closing deadline, whichever comes sooner. Student must formally checkout of their space by either schedule a check-out time with their RA or by completing an Express Checkout.

  • Express Checkout: This is the fastest and easiest way to check out of a room. Residents should bring their UMBC ID Card, Residence ID, and room keys (if applicable) to the Community Desk after all of their personal items are removed from their room. They will be asked to complete a Checkout Receipt with the staff at the desk. Residential Life will inspect their room at a later time for potential damages and/or cleaning charges.
  • Traditional Checkout with an RA: This option is for residents who would prefer to be present while a RA completes the checkout inspection and/or who know they have caused damage to their room. RAs conducting checkouts will inform residents of potential cleaning or damage charges at the appointment. Students interested in formally checking out with an RA should schedule an appointment with a staff member 48 hours before departing.

Prior to checking out, residents should:

  • Remove all personal items from their bedroom and common areas.
  • Remove and dispose of all trash in a trash room or a dumpster.
  • Return University provided furniture to its original location.
  • Turn off water.
  • Turn off lights and bathroom exhaust fans.
  • Close and lock all windows and doors.
  • Close blinds.

Students who fail to formally checkout with a staff member may be assessed an Improper Checkout fee.

Late Stay Applications

If a residents permanent address is more than 50 miles from UMBC and they are graduating, have a late exam ending after the halls close, or are volunteering with commencement they may request to apply for late stay in advance of the halls closing. Residents should contact Residential Life to be issued the late stay application.  Applications are typically due a week before the halls are scheduled to close.

If approved for late stay, the resident is expected to depart by 10AM the day after the communities officially close.

Damage Appeals

Students may appeal checkout charges and/or fees. The appeal window is typically two (2) weeks. Please keep in mind that submission of an appeal does not guarantee charges with will removed.

Students who would like to appeal check-out related housing charges should complete the UMBC Residential Damage Appeal Form.  Students who submit a formal appeal should receive a response from Residential Life two (2) weeks after the appeal deadline date.