Step 1: Housing Application
The application is the first step for all students interested in living on campus. The application assists in the assignment and roommate matching process, so students should make sure they complete this application honestly and accurately. Students are encouraged to review special housing options before submitting the application.
Click here to access the housing portal, where available applications will displayed. Students should enter their myUMBC username and password.
In order to be guaranteed a housing offer and/or assignment, current residents and newly admitted students should submit their application by the priority deadline.
Graduate students, current commuters, and/or those who miss their priority deadline are encouraged to submit a General Housing Application. Once submitted, they will be added to a housing wait list.
2020-2021 Housing Application Deadlines
I am a…
|Application Available||Priority Deadline|
|2020-2021 Academic Year||March 9, 2020||April 7, 2020|
|April 15, 2020||
Newly Admitted First-Year Freshmen
|January 6, 2020||
May 1, 2020
Newly Admitted Transfer Student
March 23, 2020
|Newly Admitted Graduate Student||April 15, 2020||
|Spring 2021||Newly Admitted Spring 2020
First-Year Freshmen and/or TSA Transfer Student
|September 1, 2020||
December 15, 2020
Step 2: Housing License & Deposit
Students will only be assigned to a room once they have submitted their housing license and deposit. The term of the license is for the entire academic year, defined as beginning with the start of the Fall Semester, or upon Occupancy whichever occurs first, through the end of the Spring Semester.
- Current residents who complete the application by the priority deadline are required to acknowledge the housing license at the time of application, and are not required to pay the deposit if there is already one on file.
- Newly admitted first-year students who complete the application by the May 1st priority deadline are required to acknowledge the housing license and pay the deposit at the time of application submission.
- Transfer students and spring admits who complete the application by the priority deadline will be emailed a Housing License & Deposit application. They must read and accept the terms of the housing license online and pay the $200 housing deposit by the deadline in the offer email in order to be assigned to housing for the upcoming year.
- Wait listed students may be emailed an offer, if and when space becomes available. They must read and accept the terms of the housing license online and pay the $200 housing deposit by the deadline in the offer email in order to be assigned to housing for the upcoming year.
- If under the age of 18, upon agreeing to the terms of this license, you will need to complete License Verification form with a parent/guardian. Further instructions will be provided in the application.
Step 3: Roommate Requests
Only students who meet the priority deadlines may request specific roommates prior to the start of the fall semester.
- The deadline for current residents to request specific roommates is April 12, 2020 at 11:59PM. Current residents should review the Housing Selection Guide for more information about the roommate group formation process.
- The deadline for newly admitted first-year students to request a specific roommate is June 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Students may only request one (1) preferred roommate who is also an incoming Fall 2020 Freshman. Instructions on forming groups can be found in you UMBC email from Residential Life. If you would like to form a group of 3 for a triple occupancy room (3 sets of furniture in one larger room at a reduced cost) or are having technical difficulty, please contact Wendy Crowe in Residential Life at email@example.com or 410-455-8832. Please do not form a group of 4, as it will not be honored.
Step 4: Housing Assignment
Housing assignments will be communicated to students via UMBC email.
- Current residents who complete the application by the priority deadline are expected to login and select their fall room during their assigned selection time. Current residents should review the Housing Selection Guide for more information about the selection process.
- Newly admitted students who completed the application by May 1 should receive their assignment on July 15.
- Students that completed the application by the Spring Priority deadline should receive their assignment on/or around January 21.
Housing Wait List
Wait list offers are made throughout the summer and into the start of the Spring semester. Students will remain on the wait list until we are able to make them an offer which could be as early as August and as late as January. If offered a spot and a student declines or does not respond to the offer, they will be removed from the wait list.
Since we may be unable to accommodate all students on the wait list, we encourage students and families to explore additional housing and transportation options for the fall semester. Below are two campus offices that may be of interest to you to contact:
- Off-Campus Student Services: Supports students with off-campus housing options, carpooling programs, and commuter services
- Transit: Supports students interested in learning about ride share programs and public transportation.
- Students may cancel their housing license prior to the start of the Fall Semester by submitting an RT Ticket. Approved cancellations will result in a $200 housing deposit forfeiture. A cancellation fee may be applied based on timing of the request.
- Students who have only licensed for the Spring semester may cancel their housing license prior to the start of the Spring Semester by submitting an RT Ticket. Approved cancellations will result in a $200 housing deposit forfeiture. A cancellation fee may be applied based on timing of the request.
- Students seeking to cancel their housing after taking occupancy must formally petition for release from the license.
- For more information about the cancellation process visit the Housing Procedures page.