The Shriver Living-Learning Community (LLC) bridges the campus to the community through engaged scholarship. LLC students will explore service and civic engagement through the lens and legacy of Sargent Shriver. Through a one-credit seminar, weekly service, and reflective activities, LLC members build community and increase social change awareness.
What to expect from the Shriver LLC:
- Connection with students from broad majors and disciplines
- Explore issues and opportunities related to civic engagement and service learning
- Engage in weekly service in the Greater Baltimore region
- Community-building activities that enhance robust leadership development and advocacy
- Upper-class Peer Mentoring Program supports UMBC transition
- Development of interest/course teams (BreakingGround grant awardees)
- Deeper connection to Shriver Center programs to include Shriver Peaceworker Fellows/Peace Corps Prep, SUCCESS, and The Choice Program
- Course Connections: 096 Community Service & Learning and SOCY 396
Lori Hardesty at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-455-2493
Eloise Grose at email@example.com or 410-455-2493
New Incoming First-Year Students:
- Complete the LLC Application within the Residential Life Housing Application by May 1st. You may preference up to 3 LLCs in the LLC Application. (LINK TO APPLICATION)
Current UMBC Residential Students:
- Complete the Residential Life Housing Application by the published Housing Selection deadline AND contact the LLC Coordinator directly to seek permission to return to the LLC. Space is limited to returning current Shriver LLC residents who have accepted a Shriver peer mentor position.